ArcelorMittal Ghent is a name in the global steel market.
ArcelorMittal Ghent is an integrated steel company in the Port of the Ghent. We belong to the ArcelorMittal-group, one of the leading steel- and mining industry companies in the world. Together with the ArcelorMittal-plant in Liège we form ArcelorMittal Belgium. In 2016 we processed 6.6 million tons of processed steel products, intended for the automobile industry and other industrial sectors such as construction, household electrics sector and the packaging sector.
ArcelorMittal Belgium counts 5.800 employees. The total direct and indirect employment is estimated at 13.000 positions. The knowledge and dedication from our employees form two of our most important assets. After all, they play a crucial role to ensure safety, the quality of our products and the rise in our productions levels, amongst other things.
Research and innovation take the lead in our enterprise. We collaborate with various centers of research within ArcelorMittal and the educational world to create new types of steel and develop new coatings.
Based on mathematical models, the production departments also manage to further optimize the production process. The various steps in the production process are described in process models. Software systems make statistical technics applicable online, which is crucial in quality control of the products and in the running the production process efficiently. Based on management models, the organizational and logistic aspects of the production process are studied. These process innovations have allowed us to double our productivity over the past 15 years.
For the continuity and technological progress within our company, it is of essential importance to obtain and centralize knowledge. The supporting department play a major role in this. They ensure a rapid exchange of knowledge in any adjustments or expansions.
Het vergaren en centraliseren van kennis is van essentieel belang voor de continuïteit en technologische vooruitgang van ons bedrijf. De ondersteunende afdelingen spelen daarbij een grote rol. Zij zorgen voor een vlotte kennisoverdracht bij eventuele aanpassingen of uitbreidingen.
Environment also plays a crucial role in innovation. It is a necessary condition for sustainable entrepreneurship. We devote an average of 10% to 15% of our investment assets towards environmentally friendly measures. Consideration for the environment and an in-depth knowledge of the production process, result in well thought-out, process integrated measures and thus to optimization of our environmental performance. Our deliberate measures to belong to the most energy efficient steel companies in the world, are a telling example of this commitment. In the past 20 years, the energy consumption at ArcelorMittal Ghent has decreased by 30%, by investing a modern production machine and by reusing the heat from the production process for the production of steam.
Within ArcelorMittal Belgium we make steal from beginning to end: we process the raw materials, mostly iron ore and coal, to high quality sheets of steel that fits the demand from our customers precisely and is used for a wide array of applications. The predominant characteristics of our production process are the uniform mechanical qualities, clean surface, excellent smooth finish, supple molding possibilities and stretchable and a superior weldability. Roughly speaking our products are used primarily for:
- bodywork for cars
- containers and metal packaging
- building elements, such as stairs, ceilings, wall coverings etc.
- household appliances
- railway applications
- roadway paraphernalia, such as traffic signs etc.
The steel production process is comprised of various steps. Each production department comes with her own technical challenges and demands specific knowledge from the employees. ArcelorMittal Gent counts on 11 production departments, who each have a specific role in the steel production process:
- Raw Materials Treatment: raw materials arrive by ship or train to ArcelorMittal Ghent and are carefully stored separately.
- Cokes Factory: Coals cannot be used directly to make steel. They are first converted into cokes.
- Sinter plant: Iron ore also cannot be used directly to make steel. It is first processed into sinter.
- Blast furnace: The sinter and the cokes are loaded into the blast furnace to produce liquid slug.
- Steel plant: The steel mill, we convert the liquid slug to steel, which we solidify in steel slabs.
- Hot rolling mill: The slabs are rolled into steel sheets, ranging between 1.25 and 13 mm thick.
- Cold rolling mill: The hot-rolled steel sheet is further processed into a cold-rolled sheet with a final thickness of between 0.15 and 3 mm.
- Dip Galvanization Line: To protect the steel against corrosion, we can apply a layer of zinc by dip galvanization.
- Electrolytic galvanization Line: Here we galvanize the steel by electrolysis.
- Organic coating lines: We apply a coat of paint to the steel plate.
- ArcelorMittal Tailored Blanks Ghent: In this department, the ready-for-use parts designed for car bodies are produced.
ArcelorMittal has three locations in the Delta Region. In addition to the headquarters in Ghent, there are the Distribution Solutions offices in Schouten (Belguim) and Heijningen (The Netherlands).
The total of 25 sites for Distribution Solutions Benelux specialize in the flat and long products, steel finish and logistics. With a capacity to deliver within 24-48 hours and the possibility to satisfy the needs of all the customers’ requirements, Distribution Solutions offers a complete answer to the market’s need. Distribution Solutions Benelux supports the following markets: agriculture, automotive, construction, engineering, renewable energy, roofing, storage and transport.
John Kennedylaan 51
51 B-9042 Ghent